The 2010 CrossFit Games
The ultimate proving grounds of the world’s fittest athletes.
July 16-18, 2010 • Carson, CA
The Home Depot Center Sports Complex
Select a 2010 CrossFit Games event
United States Qualifiers
For all you nerds out there, our resident scorekeeper, Ron Wilhelm, has written an explanation of our internally developed, online scoring system for the 2010 Games season.
The 2009 CrossFit Games had a simple-to-explain, difficult-to-implement heat scheduling method whereby heat times for events where determined by the overall standings to that point. Because of these demands, a database driven scoring and scheduling system was developed, in contrast to the Excel spreadsheet more typically seen at the score-keeping table.
The system handled calculating the placings and tiebreakers automatically as results were input. The scorekeeping team simply had to enter the results from the scoring cards. Out of this came the event and overall rankings, as well as the heat groupings for the next event.
This initial version met the needs of the 2009 Games, but was embarrassingly specific to that event. It could only handle a single event, and only supported the 2009 scoring methods. Once the Games were over, we hauled it back into the lab and began improving it. This refinement including supporting different scoring methods, and the ability to handle multiple events. We are proud to announce that we are making this system available for the sectional and regional events of the 2010 CrossFit Games. We have called the system Agon.
What is it?
An online scorekeeping system for use by sectional and regional CrossFit Games events.
How does it work?
Sectional and regional scorekeepers can use the system to enter workout times/scores. Workout and event results are calculated automatically as they are entered and reflected on the CrossFit Games website.
What event types are supported?
Timed workout (lower is better), scored workout (higher is better), timed workout (higher is better), scored workout (lower is better). We don't expect these last two to be used, but they were easy to add.
What scoring methods are supported?
- 2007 Games points table - 1=100pts, 2nd=95 pts, 3rd=90pts, 4th=89pts...
- 2009 Dirty South points table - Starts at 500 and works its way down
- 2009 Games points table - 1st=1pt, 2nd=2pts, 3rd=3pts...
- modified 2009 points table - 1st=1pt, 2nd=3pts, 3rd=5pts, 4th=6pts...
- Every Second Count
- lowest converted points (ESC variation) - Timed workouts are converted to points with 1 second=1pt and are added to total. Scored workouts are subtracted from total. Lowest points at the end is the winner.
- Proportional Performance - Score is the percentage of the top finished in an event.
- Standard Score - Score is how many standard deviations above or below the mean.